Friday, June 1, 2007

And now for something completely different

A happy post! 'cause I'm trying to make "happiness takes practice" one of my operating assumptions...

I've started taking the bus to work (as my carpool expired -- dang you, Patrick, why'd you have to move? ;) ). Since "you can't get there from here" best describes attempting to commute directly between home and work, I end up at the Plaza downtown, and get to walk the rest of the way. So I walk through Riverfront Park twice a day, which is nice, especially now that the river is turned on. (Repeated solar exposure does threaten to turn me a color other than fish-belly white, but I guess I can adjust my self-image appropriately.) The walk takes 20 minutes to half an hour, depending on how much I feel like hurrying, and is a good way to wake up. The bus ride itself is just long enough to read a little. Best of all, since it's an express bus, it runs limited hours, so I can't stay late at work. :D

So, walk == nice, park == nice, not having to park here == nice (the cars only get broken into occasionally), self-limiting work hours == nice, reducing gas usage and emissions == nice -- more than offsets having to get up a little earlier to catch the bus.

1 comment:

kimalanus said...

Lots of nices. I especially like reading time. Of course, my commute is two miles which I could do on a bicycle were I sufficiently ambitious....

Kim